Friday, April 13, 2007

Photo Journal


An outing hotspot for local Thais. This is a spring that flows out of the mountain into the very elegantly built sandbag pools. Notice that Thais swim in all their clothes. Thailand is such a country of contradictions. Bangkok is know as sex tourism country yet in most areas the people are very conservative and won't even show a bare piece of skin. This also is due to the fact that Thais believe that white skin is very attractive and wouldn't want to expose themselves to the sun for fears that they may get darker!

This is a wat that is outside of my current home which is purported to have received the Buddha on one of his trips to Thailand. There is a natural spring where the Buddha was said to have washed his face and now is considered to be holy water.
This is my first cockfighting match I have attended. Cockfighting has been part of Thai society for centuries and it is still very popular now. In fact, my counterpart is a cockfighting enthusiast. He raises many roosters and recently he won 20,000 baht in a match. For me the matches were pretty lackluster and dull and I probably won't be attending any more. One note: the roosters don't actually die in the fighting. There is a winner when the other rooster shies away from the fight.This is a picture of the beginning of Song Kran festival (Thai new year). The wet pavement is a telltale sign that you are in for some trouble!

This is a view of my site from one of the mountains overlooking the town. This is a typical little structure that is used as a place of refuge for the farmers as they labor away in 100 degree heat.

The road to nowhere. Just how I like it! I'm truly and forever connected to the mountains. I couldn't think of a much better site placement. As I sat on this hill I could hear the birds singing, something I hadn't heard for quite some time. It reminded me of a summer afternoon in Wyoming.Although this hill does not look impressive because of the lack of perspective, it was. It took all I had to bike up this hill. In fact, each peddle I took as I reach the middle of the hill my front tire would lift every so slightly off the pavement. Going up was a chore, but it was all worth it for the views and ultimately having the time of my life going down!
It really seems like paradise! This is the Mae Chaem River with Doi Intonon (Thailand's tallest peak) in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment